More often than not, our Bollywood actors inspire their fans and loved ones to take steps that they may not have taken otherwise. Similarly, there have been instances that these celebrities have used their clout for the better good as well. A lot of actors and actresses in Bollywood have pledged to either donate their organs or their eyes for those in need. Following in the footsteps of these actors, many common people too have taken the bigger step and signed up for donation as well. Take a look at these torch bearers from B-Town!
1. Aamir Khan has pledged to donate all his organs after his death. Reportedly, his inspiration for the decision came after watching the film The Ship Of Thesues. In an interview, Aamir had said, “Kiran and I have discussed it, but we never discussed it seriously till she saw Ship Of Theseus. When I die, I would like Kiran to be able to just call up a number to execute my wish of harvesting my organs. I will donate everything possible to donate, which is typically your eyes, kidneys, liver, heart and even your lungs.”
2. Having personally experienced the struggle of her father Ashok Chopra, Priyanka Chopra too has pledged to donate her organs for greater cause. In an interview, she once said, “I know the value of organ donation as my father at one point was deeply in need of one. I, hereby pledge to donate my organs. If we cannot live as good human beings, we can be nice at least after death.” Wise words indeed…
3. The very pretty, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has pledged to donate her eyes. Reportedly, the decision to donate her eyes came from the fact that people have always been in love with her distinctive eyes and wants to be remembered for them, even after she’s dead.
4. Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan have collectively also decided to donated their eyes for a great cause. Being one of the first families of Bollywood, this decision taken by them certainly created ripples and urged many other people to follow suit in donating their eyes and organs.
5. Bollywood actor, Sunil Shetty has also pledged to donate his eyes. In an interview he once said, “Our religious beliefs go against organ donation. We can save thousands of lives by changing our attitudes.” What a great way to motivate people to donate their organs.
6. Nandita Das has decided to donate all her organs in order to save as many lives as possible. She opined, “I have always wanted to donate my organs. When we are dead and gone, if our organs could save anyone’s life, then why wouldn’t we do it.”
7. Kollywood and Bollywood actor, R. Madhavan has already pledged to donate his eyes, his heart, lungs, kidneys, liver pancreas, bones and cartilages to save as many lives that he can. Isn’t that just a very noble thing to do?
8. While spreading awareness about the need for eye donation, Rani Mukerji herself pledged that she will donate her eyes after her death. In her opinion, “Two eyes donated can light up the lives of two or even four blind people. It is a wonderful feeling to be part of the cause.”
9. While promoting the noble cause of organ donation, Rishi Kapoor too signed up for the cause. His decision to donate came after he handed over the prizes to the Transplant Games 2014 at PGIMER in Chandigarh.
10. Among the young bandwagon of actors in Bollywood, Sonakshi Sinha is probably the first actress to have promoted eye donation. In fact, while promoting, she decided to donate her eyes to eradicate corneal blindness.
11. While visiting a relative’s place, Juhi Chawla came across a free cataract operation camp. Seeing the plight of people there, she therefore, decided to donate her eyes for the good cause. This was followed by a surge in the number of common people also deciding to donate their eyes.
12. Hema Malini pledged to donate her eyes back in 2007 when she became the brand ambassador of Vision 2020. She pledged towards the cause and said, “I’ll donate my eyes. India needs at least two lakh eyes every year, but we get only 34,000. It is urgent to meet the need.”
Subscribe for our weekly newsletter