'90s kids boast a lot. The internet is filled with nostalgic content for them. But how would they know the joy of watching Karamchand unravel the mystery while playing chess and nibbling a carrot? And oh, Miss Kitty, how can you forget her cute banter with him?
For all the Karamchand fans, it’s time for you to know him better. We are bringing you 8 things you didn’t know about him, until now.
1. You cannot imagine Karamchand without the carrots. In fact, a survey says that he eats more carrots than Bugs Bunny. Now, we don’t know how true it is.
2. It’s not Pankaj Kapur, but Alok Nath who was originally the face of Karamchand. But Alok had a tiff with the show’s director, Pankaj Parashar. And that’s how Pankaj, who was famous in Mumbai’s Prithvi theater, stepped in to play the role.
3. No matter how many years go by, Karamchand and Pankaj Kapur’s favourite detective will always be Sherlock Holmes.
4. Vidya Balan's character in Bobby Jasoos was inspired by Karamchand. Probably even Bobby grew up watching him as Karamchand was India’s first detective series.
5. No matter how old Karamchand gets, he’ll still depend on his own intelligence than use modern gadgets. In fact, even when he came back in 2007, he preferred to rely on his brain to solve the cases.
6. It’s only because of Karamchand that even the lay man of India got to know the role of a detective. Prior to that, no one knew what a detective did.
7. Karamchand would have ended after 26 episodes. However, it was the 10,000-odd fan letters that made Doordarshan call back Pankaj Parashar to direct 13 more episodes.
8. Karamchand was not just a favorite of the masses, but also of stars such as Kamal Haasan, Manoj Kumar, Kishore Kumar, Saeed Mirza, Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar and cricketer Kapil Dev.
Subscribe for our weekly newsletter